Monday, May 6, 2013

Make Over Making Me Happy

 I'll be honest; I wish I could have a bigger house. Another couple of bedrooms, more storage and bigger kitchen are a few dreams of mine. However, at this point in our lives, that simply isn't a reality. Since that option was out, I really, really wanted to repaint some of my main floor. But where to begin and end? I also wanted some new furniture. We  had been blessed with handy me down furniture, and we appreciated it. But after several years I wanted something new. 
My parents gave me some money at Christmas to put towards a new loveseat. We looked for some in January, couldn't agree or really know what we wanted...so we paused for a month and then started talking about it again. We both knew that for us to be the happiest in the long run, we would get the matching leather loveseat. But it was just too expensive to justify it. One Saturday afternoon after looking and discussing our options again, I called Mrs. B's - the discount store for Nebraska Furniture Mart where we had gotten the other pieces. I asked if they happened to have the loveseat to our set. They did not; however, they had the full sofa....at a great price! SOLD!
That was so exciting we began looking at paint colors. After more discussion, we bought our paint at Ace, and Brandon started in on the project. I am his little assistant. When Brandon does a project, he does it right. This can mean it takes longer, but we are both pleased in the end.
Above you will see the living room getting prepped for painting. Our walls were a tannish color that over time began to look more peachy. I was simply tired of it.
We chose a tan that had more of gray base to it. In fact when we started applying it, we thought it looked elephant gray. To the point where we talked about 'do we change colors?' We decided to have him paint an entire wall before making that decision. And we learned we liked it.
Moving furniture out of the way
 Eight years ago, we had meticulously painted these stripes in the hallway.
 We had some friends that wanted our old furniture, so we carried it out to the front porch. We looked like rednecks for 24 hours.
 The other room I really wanted to paint was the kitchen. Again I was tired of this color; it looked great eight years ago...but not so much now. (And now you can see why  I would like a bigger kitchen. :))
 The weekend after redoing the living room and hall, we tackled the kitchen. The girls are enjoying donuts with the bright, hot lights.
 So long green, hello yellow/gold!
 The finished living room, complete with our new couch. My SIL helped me with the flower decorations on the wall.
 Oh blue, how we like you. It really is blue; the pictures give it more of a periwinkle look.
 and gold, you make me smile
 My favorite corner where the two colors meet.
 Here is my picture frame where I write verses with a dry erase marker. It's been good for us.
 Believe and Pray stand about my cupboards.
A huge thank you to my husband who sacrificed lots of time and energy to make the project look great. I enjoyed the time with him, too, as worked together. We talk frequently on how we make a great team, something I am so thankful for!

No comments: