Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A Piece of Heaven in Omaha

 Back in December I learned that Chris Tomlin was going to be in Omaha. I did a back flip in my living room and sent Brandon an email at work "hinting" that I really wanted to go. 
We would chat about it, but it seemed like forever before he said yes. Actually, it wasn't until January. Peg and Danny had given us a gift card to use, and they even mentioned using it for this event. Then it took me keeping my mouth shut and praying more about it. Once I did that, Brandon brought it up and said we could go. I think I did another back flip. :)
If you know me at all, I love Chris Tomlin, and I love Christian concerts because I love worship.
April 13 finally arrived. Brandon and I left town around 11:30 and headed to Omaha. (SO thankful the girls could spend the night with Grandma and Grandpa).
Our first stop into town was Cabela's. We were looking at some hunting gear when I saw a young guy walk by at the end of an aisle. I had one of those thoughts, "That guy looked familiar. Oh my goodness....I think  it's Taylor Martinez!" (If you are from NE, then you know that's the QB) I nudged Brandon and asked him if I was right. He said it was him, so I couldn't let the moment pass by and not tell him hi. I'm kind of a dork like that.
I nonchalantly walked up next to him and said something cool like, "Are you who I think you are?" He said yes, so we chatted just a bit. I told him I had a 9 year old daughter that loved watching football. 
I was on cloud nine when I walked away. When I called Analise to tell her, she was excited, a bit envious, glad I mentioned her, and then asked if he was in his uniform. Lol. 
After Cabela's we ran to Dick's so I could look for some Keens. No luck. We then went down to the Old Market so Brandon could go to a leather store; he needed some new gloves. Success!
It was then time for dinner; we tried several restaurants only to learn there was prom so the wait was way too long.  We had to do a no-no; we ended up eating at a restaurant that we have in Kearney. We had no longer sat down at Old Chicago when a couple walked  in that we knew. Only in Nebraska can we leave town and still see people we know.
Anyway....it was finally time for the moment I had been waiting for months.
We walked to the arena and sat down as the lights dimmed. The opening was Kari Jobe. I knew a few of her songs, but I didn't know most of them. I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked her. She had great songs, great truth in those songs, and she had this pure worship to her that made it very enjoyable. 


 Warning - lots of photos

And then Chris took the stage, and the piece of Heaven began. We worshiped for almost two hours. He, too, was focused on his King and not himself. Where Brandon and I sat we had a great view of the stage but also the audience, so I enjoyed watching everyone else worship, too.
His first song was the song we predicted it would be - "God's Great Dance Floor." He rocked it, and it was a blast! Even Brandon was totally into  it. :)
Brandon gave me a hard time later of all the pictures I took, esp. pictures of the screens with words on them. I informed him that those words meant something to me, and I was going to read them later to see the message God spoke to me through them. Here goes:

A heart of worship is giving our all to Him
 We give our all to Him; He never gives up on us

 Someday we will do this for eternity


 We did this during the concert, but I also want my life to reflect this.
 A song and verse I sing frequently even despite the faith it takes to sing those words. Your will; your way.
 This song was sentimental to me; we sang it at Rachel's funeral almost four years ago. I still get a lump in my throat when I hear or sing this song.


 This song is one of my new favorites. He admitted that this song wasn't on his original concert play list, but people kept telling him how much the song meant to them. I am glad I got to hear it live.
Sovereign - if you haven't heard it, you must.

 The Lord asked me...do you?
 Do I really believe this?
 No better place to be than in His hands.
 This line gets me every time because I realized that my fears and dreams are one in the same. God is working on me in an area that I had suppressed for almost two years. He has again made clear a calling in my life. And that calling is my fear and dream all in one. They are in His hands.
Now seriousness aside - look at his facial expression. Cracks me up.


 But when I focus on my fears, I have this reminder:
 So whom shall I fear?
 Because I know this to be true:
 At the encore Chris came back out for a couple more songs, and then Kari joined in singing her most popular song. A song I have heard/sung 100s of time but so much more powerful live with 1000s of other people.





 And then the final song was again "God's Great Dance Floor." Only this time huge beach balls were tossed to the crowd. So fun! (BTW  if you download this song, I recommend the live version from the Passion 13.)
As we left the concert on a high, I told Brandon I wanted to be attending concerts until I was old; I wanted to be taking my grand kids. :) I am so thankful for that worship time with my husband singing alongside of me. I would go back in a heartbeat. These moments of worship create within me a longing for Heaven.

No comments: