Thursday, January 5, 2012

Minnie's Memory

Dog. A simple word yet the topic of discussion at out our house a lot lately. I grew up with dogs; Brandon didn't. My girls favorite dog: Minnie. And their favorite question, "Mom, can we get a puppy?" Over and over and over..
And I used to be firm in saying, "No." You have sisters instead. Well, now those sisters have grown, and I find myself getting weak. "No" is hard to say now.  I think my turning point was reading about a certain cousin who finally got a puppy after so many years of not having one - for the same reasons we didn't want one. And now they are in puppy love. And so I found myself wanting one, too. Poor Brandon...all this to say is...nope, we don't have a dog, but my husband isn't as closed off as he once was. And now the girls want to know why dad won't let them have a dog instead of both of us not wanting a dog. :) Brandon does remind me that majority still rules since he is the majority. Hah!

So all that to say...a few Saturdays ago was a tough day being a mom, esp. a single mom. I knew Minnie wasn't doing good. She was old, what could I expect? Everytime I was home in IN with her, I always prepared myself for that being the last time with her. And the girls loved her; they really  did. I don't think they ever talked with my mom and dad without asking what Minnie was doing.
I talked with my mom early that Sat morning, and she asked me if I had been strong with Brandon gone. I admited that Friday was rough, but I was going better. Why?
She said, "It's time." and I knew what she meant.
"When?"
"We're leaving right now." And I lost it. I lost it because Minnie wasn't going to be around anymore. I lost it because  my parents had to make that drive to the vet.
I lost it because I had to tell my girls.

So I did what anyone other mom would do. I cried to myself while making pancakes. I fed the girls breakfast so they would have food in their tummys when I broke the news. I told each of the girls to go get their stuffed Minnie. Yes, each girl has her own. They asked "why" and so I told them I would explain. Analise got her Minnie and walked into the kitchen and said, "Why? Did Minnie die?" Shocked, I simply nodded my head yes.
I'll never forget. She yelled, "Noooooo!" and wept. And I hugged her while I cried, too. Sadie went and got Analise some comforting things like a stuffed animal and kleenex. Maisie just kept asking questions.  I simply told them that Minnie went to sleep and never woke up.
Analise needed time to herself, she she went behind a chair in the living room. All of us talked about death and heaven and wondered if Minnie would be there.
A bit later Analise came into my room with some money, money I knew about. She had tears in her eyes again and said, "This is the money Grandmom gave me to take care of Minnie this summer."
We were headed out soon, so I asked her if she could like to use that momey at Kohl's to get something to remember Minnie. She did; she ended up getting a dog picture frame, and we have a picture of Minnie in it now.
Thankfully we were with family rest of the day to help us move on. But I know the next time we got to my parent's house, it will be different without having Minnie around.

Analise and Minnie in summer 2010

And the girls with their Minnies after I told them the news.

I guess all that's left to be said is, "Brandon, can we get a dog?" 

3 comments:

Reba said...

I am standing here, boohooing.

Brandon, can they please get a dog???

Yes, I am in complete puppy love.

It is definitely the best decision we made in the year 2011. :)

AK/Mom/Grams said...

I don't think I have ever cried this hard over a blog post before.

Please Brandon. Please?

AK/Mom/Grams said...

oops, I forgot I am Mom on Google. That should read AK said : )