Friday, January 6, 2012

Change of Plans

After Brandon's sixth trip to NC, his new destination was Richmond, CA. He had explained to his boss that he needed a break from this project. And he would like a few days in the office, plus time with his family. So thankfully his boss agreed and would let Brandon stay home a few days before heading west. We were going to have Brandon home for a whole week! Or so we thought. Friday morning Brandon calls me and tells me that his boss would like to fly both of us out to CA so Brandon could be close by if needed. Otherwise, it would be some R and R time for both of us. I was excited about this opportunity and had a peace about it. My only concern was Brandon not getting his much needed break. Brandon's parents were more than willing to take care of the girls (huge blessing!) so we bought tickets on Sat. with the plans on leaving Tuesday.


 I was up Tuesday morning at 4:20 to catch the 6:15 flight. I don't remember the last time I was up that early. We made good time to Denver, to find out our flight was delayed to San Fransico due to fog. The hour delay became a two and a half hour delay.  This was the sunrise when we landed in Denver. I don't think I've ever seen the sky so red. Beautiful!

We finally board our plane, and we were in the very last row, but we were together! The last person to board was a nine year old, AA, boy. He was next to me, in the window seat. He was so timid and quiet. I helped him with his backpack, his seatbelt and gave him my free airline headphones so he could watch the tv. Awhile later, the flight attendants came around with snacks and drinks. Jeremiah took some Sprite and Gummy Bears, and after that the boy didn't stop talking to me! He was a hoot! We talked football, about his family, school, did math problems together, and we even talked about God. He asked me how old God was, so I told him He's always been living. Jeremiah said, "So he must be like 100?" :) I'll always remember that young boy.
As we began our decent into SFO, the pilot suddenly pulled up - such a strange feeling. The fog was still too dense for us to land. The pilot flew us out over the bay and ocean. It was beautiful! Thankfully we are able to land just a bit later.
After getting our rental, we headed north. I was so excited; this was my first time to CA!
 Our first glimpse of the bridge.
 It was still foggy as we drove over it.
 We stopped at the viewing area on the north side. Loved it! (Note to self - I took a picture like this on my phone and sent it to my MIL to show the girls. She wrote back and said, "Analise wants you to know she beat you to the bridge on Google Earth." What a girl! :))
Downtown San Fransico
 Alcatraz

 We had just gotten there when Brandon got a work call. Figures.

 I took this pic for the girls. Double decker buses.
 And from we drove north into some beautiful country...

1 comment:

Reba said...

Sounds like a fun trip...I never get to sit next to fun people on the plane like that. I love the pics...you got a great view of the bridge and of the SF skyline!