Tuesday, August 11, 2009

On the Road

Originally we were going to make the 13 hour trip in one day. However, thanks to my dear husband who supports my friendships, and knows how important they are to me, agreed we could leave a night earlier than scheduled. Before all the plan changes, I had visited with a childhood/high school friend who was home from Paris for a couple of months. We had scheduled to get some other child/high school friends together on Thursday evening for dinner. I was so excited!! I did some thinking Weds. night as I lay in bed and realized we would have to be on the road no later than 9:00. We were meeting for dinner at 7:00, and my goal was to be home by 6:00. Wouldn't you know it...we did it! We pulled on to the interstate at 9:00. Of course that meant I was up at 6:45 getting ready, but it was worth the sleep. The girls do really well traveling. We are so blessed! I packed each of them a backpack with things to do, and we also have a DVD player that helps pass the time. We vary what we do in the van. We stopped at a rest area for lunch. The girls had started eating their lunch in the van. Two reasons why: it helped pass time, and they got more running around time. The rest area even had a playground...it was great! Brandon and I ate quickly while the girls played. Analise loved the "teeter saw." :) I think that stop was 45 minutes. It was then declared nap time once we were back on the road. Easier said than done. I was tired, and I wanted the girls to sleep. They eventually did fall asleep. While the little ones napped, Analise listened to an Adventures in Oddessy on my ipod. The biggest challenge in our journey is always Chicago. What will it be like? Praise God we timed it right and got right through. Though I will admit. I always have Brandon drive this leg. We made a couple more quick potty breaks, and we pulled in my parent's drive at 6:20! PTL!

Maisie listening to the movie through the head phones. That's her little pillow between her head and head phones. She looked so funny!
Analise is also tuned in. This way Brandon and I could listen to our own music while they watched movies.

Sadie was a happy traveler, even though she couldn't see the screen.
I had just enough time at home to help unpack, get the girls "settled", hug my parents and change before meeting my friends. We met at one of my favorite home town Italian places. There were five of us. I've known most of these friends since I was little! I loved visiting with them, going back into time and memories with them, and I am so thankful they are all following the Lord.
After dinner we met up with another friend at Starbucks. We sat outside (I got eaten alive!) and talked until midnight. Ahhh...the joys of friendship. All thanks to a husband who was willing to spend the money on a hotel and leave early.

1 comment:

mikeanddebbie said...

I bet I know what your favorite hometown Italian place is!! It's mine too and oh how I miss it!!!!