Sunday, April 13, 2008

Tusks




Sweet Sadie is already four weeks old. The time is going fast, and I hope it continues to chug along so she can come home.
I went to visit her with my dad on Saturday. I was able to snuggle with her for an hour and a half. The time is special and goes by quickly. I was able to visit with one of the nurse practitioners, and I am so glad! The day before I was told that Sadie was now in an isolette (a fancy word for an incubator). I was so sad because it seemed like a big step backwards. Anyway, I was talking with the NP and asked her to explain why Sadie was in the isolette. She said she would because even though it seems like a step backwards, it isn't. Comforting words. Even though Sadie was doing a nice job of maintaining a good body temp, she had to use calories to do so. They want Sadie to use all her energy to grow, so a controlled temp will help her concentrate on this. She is still about 3-7, and she will be in the isolette until 4-4.5 pounds. The NP assured me that Sadie is doing really well; she just needs to grow and develop. We are so thankful. They took Sadie off the meds to help her lose fluid. It didn't seem to be helping. The are beginning to think Sadie simply has a poochy tummy. :) Sadie has an eye exam on Monday, so please pray it goes well and everything looks good.
I am still up and down with how I feel. Praise the Lord I will have my stents removed earlier then originally scheduled. This should help with the achy, crummy feeling. Please pray for my energy to come back as well. I saw my OB doc this week, and he told me I had a long road of recovery and to take it easy. It was good for me to hear that.
Now about the tusks...I was reading a bedtime story to Analise the other night about a baby elephant. Analise saw the elephant and his tiny tusks. Our dialogue went something like this:
"Look mommy...tusks...just like Sadie has!
Laughing I replied, "Sadie doesn't have tusks!"
She chuckled, "But what are those things in her nose?"
She makes a good point; they can be oxygen tubes or tusks. You pick. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Pam--she is just so precious! Although I haven't been dealing with a preemie for as long as you, I understand the emotions of the isolette. Gracelyn was put in one after just 2 days and I felt the same way...like we had gone backwards. One of the nurses and the pediatrician explained the exact same thing to us about it. Who knew that something so simple could burn so many calories!
And the phrase "baby steps" has taken on a whole new meaning to me. We are still praying for all of you and love you all! Take good care of yourself.
Many Blessings,
Jenner

Reba said...

I love the pictures, Pam. She is precious. Hmmm, tusks. Wasn't your mom the elephant person growing up (liking them I mean)? Maybe it runs in the family? Hope you had a special time with your parents. I am so glad you were able to spend some time with Sadie. I know that time is so precious. I am ready for her to be home with all of you!
Reba

Anonymous said...

Pam, Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures; I love the one with you holding her. I miss not doing the "mommy" thing closer together...so it does my heart good to see you holding your precious lovely. You continue to be in my prayers. REST and be still in the Lord, even physically, and celebrate the "baby steps" as your friend referred to them. Love you, Karla

Anonymous said...

Pam- LOVE IT!!! Tusks!!! precious that is a keeper for sure- Sadie looks so good in the pictures! We will continue to be praying for you and Sadie and family- thank you for sharing I adore the pictures and love hearing the stories and progress reports. May the Lord of the universe continue to keep His hand of protection over you all, may He guide and direct you, heal and comfort you and fill you with so much joy that it blows your socks off!!! In the name of Jesus!!!You are loved-georgiana