Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Maisie Update

My Kinderkid
 
Maisie has had growth already this year. The first couple of weeks of school were rough. She would mope getting ready for school telling me that she just wanted to stay home. Her teacher kindly told me that Maisie cried a couple of days at school. I never thought I would  be the mom of a kindergartner crier! However, when talking to a dear KDG teacher, she informed me that this was normal; the kids are realizing this is their new normal and it's every single day. (Thanks Reba!)
It clicked then; Maisie has always been my daughter of schedule. This was a new schedule she was just going to have to adapt to. And I can say now that she has. She gets up happy most mornings, and she now hops out of the van at drop off with a smile on her face and says, "Goodbye mom. GOODBYE CARAMEL!" Yeah - I don't take that personal. :) But she also loves her weekends and days off from school.
Maisie likes to take her lunch box most days, and every now and then she will get hot lunch. She is enjoying friends at school, and after school now she will be my girl that will say bye to all her friends and give hugs to the girls.
Her PT conference was interesting. I could hardly wait to go and hear how she is doing. And I will be honest; I came home feeling a bit discouraged. I'm not sure why, because I don't think I should have felt that way. Again, Grandmom helped me see the other side of things. First, I knew it would be different than Analise's conferences. I was okay with that. Here are the brief highlights;
She actually tested above for phonemic awareness. She recognized all but two of her letters; she knew her five sight words. She is a good, quiet listener.
Her teacher just mentioned that she doesn't feel like she knows the real Maisie yet. Maisie is so quiet and almost nervous like in school sometimes. She isn't willing to raise her hands to answer questions and gets really shy when her teacher calls on her. I think this was the root of my disappointment. It caught me by surprise. At home Maisie is NOT quiet; she has a song and dance in her heart. She is super happy yet can turn super grumpy rather quickly.
We have since talked with Maisie about it be okay to make mistakes at school; we want her to feel confident and talk more in front of the class.
What I have seen since she started school makes my heart happy -  she comes home exited to read me her new books. She's practicing her letters on the white boards or adding things to my grocery list. She asks, "How do you spell (blank)?" Or better yet, "I can spell (blank)."  She is singing the songs they sing at school. Her artwork is such an amazing improvement. So I know she is learning, and it seems like she is enjoying the learning, too. Even though when I ask her about the best part of the day, her answer is usually recess or centers.
Our prayer for Maisie is that she will keep on trying (and not get discouraged quickly with her "perfectionist" tendency), that she will choose to do what is right even when others aren't, and that she will have a bounce in her step at school so her teacher can see the real Maisie. We also pray that Maisie will be able to grasp longer instructions so she can follow something that is multi-stepped.
When Maisie goes to school happy and comes home happy, I am happy. May the year continue to be a great year of growth for her.

No comments: