Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Analise Update

My 3rd grader
 
Analise is growing up. Fact of life, I know, but sometimes it's hard to believe she is 8 1/2 and in third grade. Not too long into the school year she told me her Nike's were too small. Didn't I  just buy her new ones a few months ago? We went shopping and ended up getting her some new shoes - a size 5 1/2 in women's! She officially weighs as much and now wears the shoe size I did as a 6th grader. She finds that information cool; I find it hard to believe.
She is having a great school year. We had her PT conferences about two weeks ago, and we just love going to hers. It was nice that Brandon was with me so he could finally meet her teacher and see her classroom. Analise is doing awesome, and the best part - she loves it! She loves to learn and is easily motivated. I won't go into nitty gritty details about her conference; only Grandmom and Pops get that info. :) I will say that one of the reasons we switched schools (besides being with Christian friends) was so Analise could be challenged a little more. One way her school does that is with Accelerated Reader. Her sweet teacher, knowing this was Analise's first time, gave her a challenging goal but wanted Analise to succeed, so she didn't make it too hard. Her goal for the quarter was 17 points. I think she had that met in a couple of weeks. Eight weeks  into the quarter, she has 56 points. The beauty in this is that I don't have to tell her to read; she enjoys it and does it all on her own. A daughter after my own heart. :)
 
We were out talking with neighbors a few nights ago, and the mom told me she wanted to know my thoughts on the girls' school. Before I could even reply, Analise pipes up, "It's awesome!" That was good for my soul to know that despite the change for Analise, she enjoys it. We were obedient to the Lord's leading, and we are so thankful.
 
At PT conferences, Analise had a note to her parents. This is what it said:
 
Dear Mom and Dad,
Please come home saying that Mrs. B said I was good! Thank you for giving me an i-pod and a camera. I love them! Thanks for letting me do sports. Thanks for the clothes you buy me. I LOVE YOU! (Can you guess one of her love languages?)
 
Back at Curriculum Night for her class, Analise had an "All About Me" paper on her desk. I was to guess her answers and then flip the paper over to see how I did. I have to say - I did pretty well. Here is Analise at the beginning of 3rd grade:
Favorite food: Mac and cheese
Favorite ice cream: none
Fave TV show: Wild Kratz
Fave subject in school: science
If I could go on vacation, I would like to go to: Antarctica (I missed this one)
Fave color: gold
Fave musician: Toby Mac
Fave Book: Goldie (Puppy Place)
I want to learn: to drive a race car (missed this one, too)
Fave holiday: Christmas
Fave sport: hockey (??? I put volleyball)
I think the neatest thing that I have ever done with my family is: bowl.
BOWL? BOWL? What about all those trips we have taken her on? And she chose bowling. Geesh. :)
 
Our hope and prayer for Analise is that she will continue to love learning, use the gifts that God has given her, and that she will know we love her for who she is - not how well she does in school. May she continue to have the joy of the Lord in her. And we pray that she can celebrate her sister's successes, too.  We are excited about the friends she is spending time with, and for the friends she has made in her class. And she just LOVES seeing her cousins throughout the day.
Third grade was a hard year for me, and so that makes me so thankful that for her it's been a great year so far!
 


No comments: