Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Concert Come True

I LOVE going to Christian concerts, and I think I have my dad to thank for that.  He introduced me to Christian music at a young age and took me to my first concert in 2nd grade...Whiteheart!
Growing up, my favorite artist was Michael W. Smith; quite honestly, he is still my favorite. Another artist  I listened to a lot was Amy Grant. And the two of them singing a duet? Always a favorite.
So thanks to Facebook, I can easily follow MWS's tour. When I saw he was doing a Friends Tour with AG, I wanted to go so bad. The day I discovered they were going to be three hours away, I cried. Seriously...tears of joy and excitement.
I immediately called Brandon to tell him. No tears for him. :) He just reminded me that he would be out of town, but he encouraged me to find friends to go with. After the initial excitement wore off, the reality set in: no one home with the girls, a terrible night of the week, cost, late night, etc. I finally told Brandon all my hesitations. He again encouraged me to pursue it. My dear MIL offered to take care of the girls. With that in place, tickets were purchased, and the countdown began.
I went with both sister in laws (even the one from out of state came!) and two other friends. We left mid afternoon for the drive. We ate dinner at PF Changs and then headed for the concert hall. I was so excited!
Here they are when they first came  out; I don't think they have aged a bit!
 Sorry this is blurry; I was a long ways back. Amy's songs took me back into time, and I felt like I relived some of my childhood. Songs I haven't sung for years came back to me.
"Sing your Praise to the Lord..." took me back to my days at the skating rink with my friends from school.
"Thy Word" took me back to the time I sang that song in church with my dad.
"Baby, Baby" and "Every Heartbeat" took me back to middle school. My friend always had a party where we put together music videos, and one year it was one of these songs.
 MWS sang his oldies and some of his new songs, too. My favorite was "Secret Ambition." I used to crank that song over and over and over.  He also lead us in some worship songs; he is my favorite worship leader.
 Together they sang some of their songs and duets. They sang the entire "Somewhere, Somehow" a song I listened to all the time back in high school. I was a hopeless romantic then as well. :)
It was a night full of blessings and great memories. Thanks to Brandon for your blessing to go; thanks to my MIL for taking care of the girls. I am thankful for great traveling weather and safety on the roads. I am thankful my family was healthy.
We got home at 1:45 am and I got to bed at 2:00. What I learned the next morning was that I am too old for this. I felt physically sick when I woke up. Next time girls, we are spending the night! :)

1 comment:

WifeandMom said...

YES! Amen to spending the night! :)