Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter

We wish you a blessed Easter. We have so much to be thankful for, and one is life...life in Christ.
It is to our sovereign, faithful God we give all praise to. I have been wanting to update how delivery day went a week ago. I apologize it has taken so long. The road to recovery is slow going.
Last Sunday evening, I began having contractions and was losing some brown fluid. I was given the muscle relaxant and put on the monitors. They confirmed how I was feeling. After an hour, the medicine wasn't working, so they called up lab. My blood work showed an increase so that meant we had an infection. At that point we were scheduled for an 8:00 c-section. A praise during all this is that my parents were here that weekend, so they could take care of the girls. That also meant Brandon was still here; he is usually on his way how by this time.
It took 3 tries to get an IV started, but the nurse who got it was the nurse with the the entire delivery. God used her in mighty ways on my behalf.
Everything went as scheduled for my c-section. I was able to feel them remove Sadie, and I heard her beautiful cry as they left the room. Brandon went with her at this point. The last thing I remember is telling my anesthesiologist that I felt funny. I think I was passing out from all the blood loss. A typical delivery with this doctor is around 15 minutes. Mine turned into MUCH longer. My placenta had indeed grown through my previous c-section scars onto my bladder. A nurse has been here 30 years and never seen such a thing. I lost great amounts of blood, and one doc even told Brandon they almost lost me a couple of times.
After 4 hours I was taken down to CCU. However, after a couple of hours, I had to be taken back to surgery because my abdomen was full of blood and fluid again. So, another 1.5 hour surgery where they had to pack my bleeding liver.
It wasn't until about 8:00 am that I woke up. Little did I know what had happened and how SO many people...many of them, you, were up all night praying on my behalf. I can't begin to thank you without tears welling in my eyes. It's an overwhelming feeling. Brandon was surrounded with great family support during the long night.
I was in CCU all day Monday and only remember bits and pieces of it. Tuesday morning I was taken back to surgery to have all the packing removed. It went great, and I felt much better. I was even able to come upstairs to my OB room for recovery; the nurses had requested that.
Recovery is coming along. I am used to getting over a normal c-section, not 3 major surgeries.
Sadie is do remarkably well! She is on some assisted breathing through the nose, but her lungs were great and never needed a vent. Answered prayer! I've been able to kangaroo hold her a few times, and I simply love it. Can't beat the skin to skin care.
We again can't express our gratitude enough your love, support, concern and prayers. I wish I could give each of you a big hug. All praise and thanks be to God!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter to you and your precious family.
i lovekeepingup with you on the blog. what a wonderful help that is.
so thankful for the progress you and baby Sadie are making.
We continue to lift you up before our heavenly Father. with a thankful heart. linda bond

PBJJ said...

Happy Easter Pam! :) Give Sadie a kiss and a hug for me! love, Pamela

Reba said...

Happy Easter! I have been thinking about you today. Suddenly life has a whole new meaning after the scare this time last week! I hope that your recovery continues to go well and that Sadie continues to just blossom! Praise God for once again showing His goodness and healing touch through you!
Reba

Anonymous said...

Happy Resurrection Day!!! Thanks so much for blogging - it's a great way to stay updated on your progress. I go to your blog regularly.

We are rejoicing with you on all the miracles in your behalf as well as Sadie. Our God is an awesome God!!!

Love you,
Coach and MC

Anonymous said...

Pam,
What an awesome God! His ways are not our ways, but the best ways are His. It was a blessing to have Sarah with us so we could watch the boys while she rallied the prayer support. Praying now that Sadie will grow quickly so she can be home with her mom, dad and 2 sisters.
Nancy & Keith