Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Responsibilty Charts

Each summer I try and create a method in teaching the girls responsibility, and this year all three get to learn! :) I want something that is visible, simple, small and yet effective.
After thinking, praying and talking with friends, I tried something new this year.
Each girl has a bag with her name on it and little pictures showing what I want done each day. (Analise has additional daily things she must do.)
Each time they finish a task, they can put in a responsibility ticket. Analise and I created something to show the girls what the tickets can be used for as prizes. Each ticket is worth 10 cents, so the girls first saved for Squinkies. They've earned tickets to get slushies with dad. They like the dollar section at Target. So in a sense they have to earn and wait, yet they don't have to wait too long for their rewards. And I didn't want rewards to be all about money.
Since we have been doing this, it's been working pretty well!


While I wanted the girls to learn responsibility, I also wanted to reward good behavior. We had been working with that by using stones for the last year. We needed something new and fresh, so I decided to use tickets for this, too.
The girls work collectively to earn tickets to earn a fun, family reward. If someone catches the girls with good behavior, they earn a "God's Girl Ticket." As you can see in the picture, these are the qualities we look for, and qualities we want the girls to learn.
The new twist this year - they can lose a ticket for "ungodly" behavior. And trust me, they've given me tickets. One daughter more than the others. She will remain unnamed.
So far we have the girls  have earned two nights sleeping in a tent in their room, and the other time we went mini golfing. Once they get the next 50 tickets, we'll be going for paddle boat rides.
My mother's heart wants these Godly traits to become so natural, so spirit lead that they have them the rest of their lives.
So this year, this works for us. And as I look at the character qualities, I need to ask myself, "Am I being a God's girl?"

1 comment:

AK/Mom/Grams said...

If I get enough tickets can I go on a paddle boat ride too?