Thursday, September 15, 2011

Memories on Mable

In all my excitement in blogging about Labor Day, I forgot about another exciting lake day. I don't think I will ever forget...
It was a nice, relaxing day on the boat. Analise was on the other boat to be with the boys, and Grandma came on our boat. The outher two girls took a little nap. Brandon fished, and I read "The Help" while sunbathing up front. It was heavenly.

After the girls woke up, they wanted to ride Big Mable with me. Being the good mom I am (hah!) I decided to go with them. We had a nice relaxing ride. We waved to the other family members on the other boat as we went by at top speed of probably 10 mph.



See how relaxed we were? For awhile the girls scooted forward and kicked their feet.
We were all snuggled together as the boat made a loop around, and then the girls inched foward. That combined with going slower around the turn, the rope going under the water lead to a "not so relaxing ride." It went so quick...water spraying us, water coming up on the tube, to the tube going under water and all three of us sliding off and into the water.
Disclaimer - two phobias of mine:
1. water in my face
2. things over my head

So we slipped down into the water, and the tube flipped over us!  I remember the feeling all too well. I first thought I would be trapped under water (my worst fear was coming true) and then realized were weren't trapped under the water, but the tube was over us. I took a couple of deep breaths and focused on getting the girls. Maisie was under the tube with me, crying like I expected. Sadie was outside of the tube, crying like I expected. It was easy to reach Maise, and I kept reminding her that she was floating; we were fine. I then used mighty mama strength (hah!) and lifted the tube over us so we could get out. We swam to Sadie and calmed her down as well. So there I am in the water with both girls holding on. I look back to the boat and what do I see? My handsome hubby swimming out to me (with no life jacket on.) It really was a sight for sore eyes. He flipped the tube over and we got the girls on up. We then got out of the water. Whew...what a ride. 
What made it more memorable was Brandon in his hurried attempt in getting in the water slipped on the back of the boat and really hurt his foot; he felt it for days.
And the other family members on the other boat witnessed it!  I wish we had it on video.
Later at supper we all shared our version of the story with many laughs, and compliments on how I held myself together. That was a God thing.
And on the way home we saw another beautiful sunset. A good ending to quite the day.

No comments: