Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Labor Day Weekend/Fishing Frenzy

Even with all the planning we did for Labor Day weekend, the weather had the nerve to change and make us in turn change our plans. Instead of heading down to the lake Friday evening, we waited until Sunday to head down. Friday night we went out to eat with D, S and boys. They then came over for cookies, and the kids played outside.
Saturday we did things around the house and ran some errands. Saturday evening all the family got together for a fish fry. It's been several years since we've caught enough fish to have a fish fry dinner. It was lots of fun!

Sunday after church we packed up and headed to the lake. The weather was now cooperating and was much better. We got there the same time as D/S and boys, so we decided to go out together; it was the first time all summer we were on the same boat.
My girls were excited to be with the boys.


 Most of the time we fish at the lake, we troll. Which basically means your poles are in the water while the boat moves at 3 mph. However, this time of year is my favorite type of fishing - chasing the gulls. This is when the shad (small fish) are swimming together and the sea gulls like to dive in for a catch. Not only are the shad swirling in the water, but the white bass are also there to eat the shad. So we know wherever the gulls are diving means white bass. So, you put on a pretty shad lure and cast into the water where the other shad are. I love it. I get to cast as far as I can and not worry about snagging a tree behind me. :) I did take into consideration others on the boat before casting...
When we got on the lake we found a cluster of about 40 boats.  The adrenaline began to flow - let the fishing begin! Nephew A put his pole in the water and immediately had a fish. We had five people fishing at once. It became crazy at times.
Aunt Sarah kept others occupied and out of the way. :)
 I think during the afternoon we caught 20-25 fish. Sometimes more than one person was reeling in at the same time. I think I caught about 12 on my own. Lots of fun. A funny memory was when I cast out and felt a big tug; I thought I had snagged my line on a log. Wouldn't you know it...the other family members were now on the other boat fishing as well. I was struggling  in bringing in my line when Brandon looked at the other boat and saw his mom struggling as well. We had caught each other! What are the odds that two lures could catch each other when the boats are at least 50 yards apart. It was so funny.
We were just about ready to come in for the day, when I got another big bite. I reeled it in and saw how big it was. My response, "I need a net!" D came to the rescue and brought in a 3 pound walleye. Whoohoo! I didn't even have a walleye lure on my line, and we haven't caught walleye for a long time. The boat was electric with excitement. The boys were impressed their aunt could bring in that type of fish; I was shocked and excited, and Brandon was so proud. :)

 All six kids on our way to the dock. Sadie's hair cracks me up.
 They made me pose with my fish, which the kids named Wally. It took me awhile to get the guts to pick this fish up, and I  had to wear gloves. At least they matched my shirt. :)
I told Brandon that was the most fun I've had on the boat all season. Fun family, fun fishing and lots of laughter. We were probably the loudest boat on the water.


Back at the cabin we had a pizza dinner with everyone, and then the girls got to sleep in the camper for the first time. They were thrilled and slept well. Brandon and I slept okay...
Monday we went back on the water for a little more fishing and then headed home late afternoon.
It was a good weekend despite the change in plans.

1 comment:

WifeandMom said...

Sadie's hair makes her look like a tired old woman in a little girl's body! Hillarious!!! :) That was a VERY fun day indeed!