Monday, April 5, 2010

Vacation Thursday

Well, I've tried this post several times, and I've had nothing but trouble uploading pictures. Grr..
Anyway, on Thursday, my sister and brother in law came to town to visit. The guys went golfing, and the girls went bowling. Analise and Maisie were so excited. We practically had the place to ourselves. My sister beat us all. The girls tied. :) After bowling we went back to the house for lunch. My mom had told me ahead of time that she would take care of the girls so my sister and I could go for lunch and shop. Who could turn down that kind of offer? We went to Panera for lunch. I was craving their tomato soup bread bowl. Makes me hungry now just thinking about it.
After lunch we ran to Barnes and Nobles, Target and then Kohl's. I hit the jackpot at a couple of places. We wandered around Kohl's several times, but nothing was catching our eyes. We finally found some dresses to try on. First let me say that I enjoy shopping (preferably without kids :) but I have a hard time spending money on myself. On this trip I had some birthday and Christmas money, so I wasn't feeling so guilty. In fact, I wanted to spend it! It helped having my sister there to give her opinion. I found a dress that I fell in love with. I feel stylish ( a rare feeling for me) and I think it fits my frame well. It makes me want to go on a date with my husband just so I can wear a dress. Amazing, huh? In addition to the dress, I got a little sweater to go with it and some new black shoes. A shopper's high for sure. So uncharacteristic for me.
We got home right after the girls were up so we hung out and went for a walk. They left before supper. After dinner, my mom and I loaded up the girls for one more trip to the store. Crazy to leave at 7:00, but the things we do for love. I was determined to find a certain kind of shirt for Brandon's birthday. Thankfully the last store came through for me.

Friday both of my parents worked, so I was busy packing and loading up the van all morning. Thankfully the girls played well together. We ate lunch and hit the road. We drove two hours (where again NO one napped....). We got to the airport about 10 minutes before Brandon landed. Timing was perfect. The girls ran to him, gave him hugs, and I about cried. So good to be a family again. We traveled to the west side of Chicago where we had hotel reservations. We don't usually stop this early in the trip, but I was glad we did. We ate supper at Chili's and then went back to the hotel for the girls to swim. Maisie loves the "tiny pool"...aka the hot tub. In that case, I like the tiny pool, too. We were all tired and slept well.
We woke up to temps about 30 degrees colder than the day before. It was even snowing/sleeting. When we hit the Iowa border, we drove out of the storm and the roads were dry. PTL! However, all along the interstate we saw cars in the ditch. It made us very thankful we had stopped when we did last night.
The girls were awesome travelers. In fact, both girls took long naps. Amazing! It gave Brandon and I quite awhile to talk uninterrupted. Analise was listening to Adventures in Odyssey on my ipod.
We made a few stops, spent some time at a Bass Pro to stretch our legs and got home at 9:00. Girls were in their jammies, asleep, so they went straight to bed. I am SO thankful for a fun filled week with family, friends, good health and beautiful weather.


No comments: