Monday, April 19, 2010

Patriotic Friday

We once again had another Friday with no school. It was kindergarten roundup, so all current kdg. kiddos got the day off. We had a good day. We slept in until 7:20ish. A little before 9:00, a couple of friends came over to play. The girls were excited and had lots of fun. They play well together, so it was an easy morning. Thanks for coming, M and T!
After nap time, the girls and I headed out to be patriotic. We had a military unit come home from oversees, and the big welcome ceremony was at the local high school. Our city encouraged us to line the route with signs, flags and support. I figured this would be good for the girls to participate in. It sure helped knowing my sis in law was doing it as well. :) We met at 3:30 thinking the buses would roll through at 4:00. We quickly found out (through inside connections) that the buses were running late. I grabbed my oldest nephew, so he could run an errand with me. He's such a trooper. :) I ran to the PO to run in and get stamps. As we were leaving, we saw a short yellow bus. Analise asked, "Is that the soldier bus?"
We went back to meet up with rest of the fam. The kids did a nice job of waiting patiently. Thankfully it was pretty nice outside. Finally a little before 5:00, the entourage arrived. It was SO cool! Police cars, fire trucks, motor cycles, and four stage coach buses full of soldiers. The boys proudly held their flag, and Analise waved her tiny one. It was so moving. I got teary eyed thinking of the reunions that were going to take place soon...family members that hadn't seen each other for almost a year. I am so thankful we went, and I hope that my daughters learned a little something in the process.

No comments: