Monday, March 22, 2010

Goin' on a Road Trip

A couple of weeks ago, our schedule took a turn for the better. We had spring break in the middle of March, and I wanted to go home SO bad. We had a week of nothing planned. Sometimes that's okay, but a week's worth is a little too much for me. :) I finally talked to Brandon about the girls and I heading to Indiana, but I didn't know how to make it work...logistically and financially. He helped me think outside the box, and within a few hours, the trip was in motion. It helps that I have two great men in my life. My dad was willing to fly one way to drive the last 10 hours to IN with us. My husband was willing to fly one way to drive the last 10 hours home with us. 'Nuff said. There was NO way I was making the 13 hour trip with myself and the girls.
So Saturday morning finally arrived. We were all packed and ready to go. My dad was going to fly into an airport three hours away, the girls and I would pick him up and hit the trail. We were on track for leaving on time at 7:45. Then the phone rang...dad's flight was delayed. The waiting game began. The time got bumped back again and again....stupid fog. :) Finally, dad let me know he was getting on a flight and going to a different airport - two hours away. He would land at 3:15. Yeah! Now, as much as I couldn't wait to get away, the other part of me was equally sad that I was telling my hubbie goodbye for several days. It helped that he was so supportive. The girls and I climbed in the van and backed out of the drive, waving goodbye to the main man in our lives....so sad. I was all teary eyed and trying to hide it from the girls. The last thing I needed was three other girls crying, too. :)
However, God had a smile planned for me just a mile down the road. Since we left two 4+ hours late, we ran into my sister in law and nephews who were also headed out of town, at the same time. She pulled up next to me at the stoplight, and the look on her face was priceless. We weren't supposed to be there. I gathered myself and enjoyed the situation. We traveled down the interstate together for 45 minutes, and we chatted 20 minutes of that on the phone.
The two youngest were supposed to nap this first leg of the trip, but they must have missed that memo. That's why I am so thankful for our DVD player! It helped the last hour go much more smoothly. We got to the airport, walked in, met Pops, took a restroom break and left again, all in less than 30 minutes.
Since we were running so far behind schedule, we knew we wouldn't be driving all in one day. We'd made reservations at a HI Express about half way. We made good time...ate dinner on the road, Sadie finally took a snooze, and we enjoyed another movie. We got to the hotel at 9:15...perfect! We got settled in and got a decent night's sleep. The time change threw us for a little loop, but we managed. Maisie awoke us all plenty early by opening the curtains and announcing, "Morning time!" Funny now...not so much in the moment.
Again we covered good ground and made good time to our IN home. We got there at 3:30...PTL. We made it and everyone was healthy! Let the fun begin!

Pops and Analise

1 comment:

Reba said...

What fun! I am so glad you got to go. I cannot wait to hear more. I love that picture...so sweet!