Monday, June 3, 2013

Getting Away

Brandon came home one day in April telling me that he would like to and needed to attend a conference in Waterloo, Iowa in May. He then proceeded to ask me if I wanted to go with him. My first thought was that this was going to be tough; May is buuuusy. However, those dates were the most flexible, so I thought about it. And he asked his mom to watch the girls. When she said she was willing, then I was excited to go with him. So many times I feel like I put the girls and their schedules above him, so here was my chance to put him in the #1 spot.
I know Waterloo isn't a hot, exciting spot to go. But I really didn't care. I got to get away with just Brandon. We left Sunday afternoon and made the seven hour drive. We stayed downtown at an okay hotel. The first morning breakfast was one to remember; there was one waitress and several men wanting to eat. It became quite funny actually. Brandon and I ended up eating someone else's food because they left. It was our only option for him to eat before his conference started.
I then spent the day to myself. Ahhh....to myself. Obviously I got up early enough to eat breakfast with him, and then when he left I worked out. I then spent the day blogging and reading.  I didn't shower until after 12:00 just because I could. He was finished with his conference around 4:00, so we then had the evening together. We chose to eat dinner at Longhorn (yum) and then went to see a movie - in a theater. I can't remember the last time with did that. We saw "42" and really liked it!
Tuesday I got up at 7 so I could workout with him before he left. I then just ate in the room. I spent the day blogging and reading again. Brandon was free for lunch, so we walked over to a highly recommended restaurant called Newton's. It was a local cafe, and it was great! I got a chicken quesadilla that was served with a raspberry topping on the side. I was brave and tried it with the quesadilla and discovered it was great.
After Brandon got back later at 4:00, he did some work, and then we went to dinner at the #1 voted restaurant in Waterloo, which happened to be right next door. It's called Galleria de Paco, and it wasn't Mexican like Brandon thought. Instead it's a fancy place decorated just like the Sistine Chapel; it was amazing! We are there was a business associate that Brandon really enjoys. It was a lot of fun. We then went to Scheel's to do a little shopping.
Wednesday morning Brandon and I got up early to go for a run along the river walkway. I honestly don't think I can remember ever going for a run with him. I enjoyed every step along the way with him. 
Brandon just had morning seminars on Weds, so I finished my 27th blog and read a bit more. We grabbed some lunch and headed out of town. I was ready to be home with my girls. But I won't lie; these two and half days of relaxing and spending time with Brandon were just what I needed and loved. And he told me more than once that he loved having me go with him and was thankful I did. I was reminded that he travels by himself so often; it was good for me to put him as the priority in my life. And I couldn't have done that without his mom's help, so THANK YOU! It was worth missing two field trips to have this time with him.

No comments: