Friday, June 14, 2013

Da Bunnies

 Da bunny, da bunny, oh we love da bunny. 
That song is from Veggie Tales, and it was fitting for our family.
One afternoon Sadie and I were watching Caramel in the back yard enjoying something in the grass. And then we realized she was playing with a baby bunny. It wasn't so funny anymore. We went out to help the bunny, and Caramel snatched it in her mouth and took off. I had to bait her with hotdog to get the bunny. Caramel then led us to two more bunnies tucked in between the garden and fence. Sadie and I scooped them up and put them in a bucket. Three itty bitty bunnies in a nice orange bucket. We took them to school to show the girls and their teachers. We were a big hit. :)
And I should have known - the girls were instantly attached. Especially Analise.
 These smiles just couldn't get any bigger.



 The girls quickly named these bunnies, and I was wondering what I was going to do with them. I couldn't let them go in the wild; they were too little. Their nest was destroyed by Caramel, and I couldn't put them back there hoping the mama bunny would come back. So I made a few phone calls and found a lady who would take them in and take care of them until they were ready to go out on their own. Yes!
She came by that evening to pick them up. Girls were sad, and I was glad.
That lasted 10 minutes. Brandon was mowing the yard and found not one but two more bunnies. I called the lady, and she came back to get them. Brandon didn't know I had done this, so later that night, he let Caramel out and she went straight to the grill...and what was underneath? Another bunny which he knew was probably there. I put bunny #6 in another small container with some dryer lint to keep her warm.
 Needless to say the girls were thrilled when they woke up. I called our "bunny friend" to embarrassingly tell her that we had another bunny. She wasn't able to come until evening, so the girls enjoyed another afternoon with this one named Skittles. Analise and I were at a school party all evening, so I let put the bunny on the porch in the small container. Bunny lady stopped by while we were gone, and guess what...the bunny wasn't in the container! So she left without it. Brandon then let Caramel out to find the bunny, and she quickly did. She grabbed the bunny and gave it to Brandon. (We are so thankful that she has a soft bite!) By the time we let the bunny lady know we'd rescued the bunny again, it was too late for her to come by that night. And by this time I was so embarrassed...we have a bunny, lose the bunny, have the bunny. Craziness!
So this little bunny ended up being with us until Sunday evening.
And she was Analise's little pet. Skittles watched a movie with Analise.
 Played the Wii with her, read with and even rode around in Analise's bike basket.
 By Saturday evening I knew this bunny needed to eat. The girls were even getting concerned it would die. I put the girls to bed and attempted to feed it. Praise the Lord it ate grass I fed her by hand, and it drank some water from a medicine dropper. I admit I really enjoyed caring for this bunny. There is no doubt where Analise gets her love/care for animals.

When a different lady came by Sunday evening, the girls were sad to see the bunny go, but they knew it was time. It was much easier releasing Skittles to a kind lady then just leaving it in the park.
And as much as I enjoyed this little bunny, I was SO ready for it to go. 

1 comment:

Reba said...

This is one of my fears...Marley pup finding a living creature in our yard. Not long ago I was out there yelling, "Run, rabbit, run!" These bunnies are adorable. Glad they went to a safe home.