Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Mackinac Day Two

Monday morning was rainy. Though we didn't get to the island as early as we wanted, I didn't mind the rain either. It gave us another slow morning and a chance to just sit in the hotel room and talk. At lunch time everything cleared off, and we headed over. Unfortunately, my bike had been outside during the rain, so I rode around the island with my seat looking like this.


 After getting off the ferry, we rode our bikes to The Grand Hotel. This probably doesn't mean much unless you are on the island. It has the world's longest front porch at 660 feet. It's kind of prestigious and has a lot of history. We decided it was worth the $10/person to have access to the hotel and grounds.
 We ate lunch at a little cafe in the hotel. It was yummy, and I loved looking out the window and watching the horse and carriages go by. And I admit I love to people watch. :)
 Here I am in one of the main lobbies.
 "The" front porch

 They are also known for all the geraniums they plant each year.
 Do you see this? It's my husband sitting in a chair and relaxing!  It's a rare sight indeed.
 Not so rare. :) We ended up finding two rockers at the end of the porch,  in the sun. We sat for 30-40 minutes and simply relaxed/dozed.
 I spy  my husband...
 At the other end of the porch was this chess game. We played and I promptly loss.
 After about three hours at the hotel, we went on some more "adventurous" bike rides. Some of the paths were really narrow and full of tree roots and plants. (This picture isn't one of those paths; it won't upload for some reason.)
 One of our views from a trail.
 
 
 After another good meal and some more shopping downtown (complete with a hot chocolate from Starbucks) we headed back. I was really sad to leave.
If the tradition continues, we will be back in about 4-5 years. And we can't wait for the day where the girls are old enough to be good bike riders so we can take them, too. It's really like leaving the country, without all the hassle.  Again I am so thankful that we went there. It will always hold a special place in our hearts.

2 comments:

Reba said...

It looks like such an amazing place. I am so glad you had that time together. Don't wait 5 years. Make it an annual tradition. :)

Darcy said...

I must admit, I have never been.....but now I wanna go!!! Looks like you guys had such a great time!