Monday, July 25, 2011

Mackinac Island

Sunday morning I was determined to sleep in and get up when my body woke me up, not an alarm clock. (This never happens....) And so my body woke me up at 7:04. Nice. I refused to get out of bed until 8:00.
We took the 10:00 ferry ride over to the island, and this trip made a little excursion to go under the bridge. It was very interesting!
We sat on the top deck, so it was very windy. I finally put on my hood.
Pulling into the dock
Just a few steps off the ferry, and I knew I was where I needed to be. I took a deep breath and relaxed. The smell of horses and fudge; it's a beautiful thing. There are about 600 horses on the island, and you see many carriages as well. The only modes of transportation are horses, bikes or your own feet.
 We ventured off on our bikes and came across some beautiful scenery.
 This was the sidewalk entrance for some one's house.
 One of the many nice biking trails.
He didn't need the old fashioned map; he just used his phone. Something we weren't doing five years ago when we were here.
 Overlooking the dock; you can see the ferry we took.
I always love seeing the steeple for St. Anne's Church
 Some of the houses on the island are amazing; they make me think of doll houses.
We discovered there was horseback riding on the island! I was so excited and loved my ride on Ginger.
 After lunch we rode the eight miles around the island. Here  is Arch Rock.
And now looking down/out from Arch Rock.
 You can see the road that takes you around the island.
Another pretty trail....not paved this time.
 This at the highest elevation on the island, and this is my "I'm done" pose. After 20+ miles on the bike and climbing countless steps, I was tired.


We finished with a yummy meal and a little walking around downtown before heading back to the main land. It was a wonderful, fun day with my hubby!

1 comment:

Reba said...

Looks beautiful. What a wonderful getaway!