Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Love Languages

Shortly after we were married, Brandon and I read the book The Five Love Languages. I really enjoyed the book, and most of it has stuck with me. A few years ago, I read the book Five Love Languages for Children. I recommend both. Anyway, there are five primary ways that people receive and give love.
1. Physical Touch
2. Acts of Service
3. Quality Time
4. Gifts
5. Words of Affirmation

While the entire family was in Colorado this summer, we were all able to talk about our love languages. It was so much fun. We laughed a lot and learned some things, too.

My goal in this post is to remember each person's love language.

Sadie: acts of service. This girl LOVES to help with things. I need to remember to help her with some things, too.

Maisie: First one is physical touch. She loves to hold my hand, hug, snuggle at bedtime, etc. Her second one is words of affirmation. She will be the one to tell me that something looks nice. "Mommy, you look cute." Things like that. I also know she needs words of affirmation. When she tells me she doesn't want to wear something because she will be ugly, I have to affirm her with God's truth.

Analise: First is quality time. Analise always wants to do something with someone. She especially needs that 1-1 time with her dad. Her other one is gifts. This was good for me to learn. She enjoys making things for people, help choose gifts, and she loves to receive them, too. And she remembers where everything came from.

Brandon: After doing the questionnaire, he decided that his isn't on the official list. He explained that his would fall under the word "sacrifice." Whatever someone has to sacrifice for his sake shows him how much he is loved. He gave a couple of examples that just make me laugh. I mowed the lawn for him several times this summer, and each time he told me thanks. However, if his mom had mowed the yard, he probably would have sent her a thank you card. Why? Because she doesn't have much time, and therefore it would be sacrifice.(And I just have oodles of extra time on my hands....)
 And I also joked with him that he feels loved when I sacrifice time with him to let him go hunting when he wants. He agreed. I tease him that he feels most loved when I am not with him. :)

And mine - quality time or really, just "time." I feel most loved when someone takes time for me, whether it by spending time together, taking time to help me with something, remembering things I like/dislike, or taking time to pick out just the right gift. I am most happy when my family is spending time together. My second is words of affirmation, which kind of surprised me. However, when Brandon leaves me a note, or compliments me in some way, if fills up my love tank. My third would be food. :)

And so in our little family of five, we have all five love languages. As a parent and wife I have to remember to express those love languages that don't come easily and also to try and receive love different ways, too. May I overflow God's love to others.

My Acts of Service Girl - she wanted to help!

No comments: