Friday, June 22, 2012

The Six Hour Project

I am so thankful I married a handy man. I just wish our house would cooperate a little better with his projects. Nothing is ever easy.
We finally decided it was time for a new fridge. Yeah for more space!
We knew we would have to do a little prep work to get it in, but we had no idea it would take as long as it did. Here's Brandon at 7:00 - cutting down some wall so it will fit.
I come along after to vacuum all the drywall dust.

Next - move the old fridge out. We don't have the energy to take it down to the basement, so we decided to move to the other side of the kitchen for a couple of days. However, it didn't fit through the counters, so he took off the doors.

Now came the tricky part. We went from 22 cubic feet to 28 cubic feet. Awesome. But more space equals bigger fridge. So it's in the garage, and Brandon takes of everything. Every door, drawer and handle. It's now almost 10:00. I'm trying to think of whom I can call and bribe to come help. Brandon insists we can do it. Plan 1. Go through the door in the garage, so Brandon takes off that door. He moves the oven to give more space. I vacuum and clean behind oven. Nope. Not going to work. Puts door back on hinges. Use dolly to move fridge out to the front door. Up two steps. Brandon removes the front door. I move furniture. Roll it into kitchen knowing it won't fit through the counters. That leaves us one option:
 Over the counter. Yes. OVER the counter. At 11:00 at night. He did the heavy lifting. I supported with a little lifting and encouraging my strong man.

Rotating the fridge on the counter. Brandon's view. I spy a goofball...

And finally it's on the correct side of the counter! We back it in to the tight space, and it fits! Good job Brandon! However, the cord is so big it makes it too tight to fit all the way in....so we pull it back out so Brandon can make the hole bigger for the cord to fit. Which lead to more vacuuming, and while I was in my cupboards, I might as well clean those, too.
Once the fridge is all the way in, we have to reassemble all the doors and drawers. Good thing  he can use a drill!
And here we are at 1:30.

We crash into bed at almost 2:00. Unreal. Despite the late night and hard work, we had lots of fun together, and we were able to laugh a lot.
Three weeks later, and I simply love, love, love it! So much more space, and I can easily reach what I need. And the middle drawer is so handy for the girls to get to their snacks.
Thank you sweetie for the new fridge!


1 comment:

AK/Mom/Grams said...

That sounds like so many of our projects! And we have had so many laughs through the years because of our projects, especially the time we took up all of the carpet in our house so the installers could put new carpet in. Your new fridge is beautiful!