Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Blessed by a Godly Woman

A couple of weeks ago I got the call early in the morning. I saw my dad's number, and I knew why he was calling; I had been expecting it. He was calling to let me know that my dear grandmother had passed away in her sleep. I was heartbroken, and I also knew she was ready. She had lived a good life, and she was ready to see her husband and son. I was thrilled for her, but my heart was still sad.
Then came the "how, when and who is going" to the funeral. What a day of searching for flights, talking with my family trying to figure out details and just plain wishing I didn't live 13 hours away.
Finally after prayer and talking with Brandon, a decision was made at 10 pm. My dear husband realizing that flights were expensive, I didn't want to drive by myself, and knowing I would want him there, offered to come with me. What a good man.
I called grandma here in town to see if Analise and Maisie could stay there. They were planning on camping that weekend, and the girls had fun things planned for school, so I didn't want to pull them from school. Sadie on the other hand...I wanted her to come with me. We try and do things as a family whenever we can, but I felt like this was the right decision for this time.
We left Saturday around 2:30 and drove 7 hours. We finished the drive on Sat. and got to MI at 3:30 knowing the viewing was at 5:00. My dad greeted us with hugs and informed us that viewing was open for family at 4:00. We quickly changed and headed for the funeral home.
Here's Sadie reald for the viewing.  I thought she looked adorable .:)

Sadie was so excited to see Grandmom, Pops and A. Peg!

As soon as we walked into the viewing room, we were welcomed by family...some family I haven't seen since my wedding. Thankfully my one cousin that really knew Brandon kept him entertained.  I was able to go see Grandma in the casket; she looked beautiful. And then for over an hour I was able to visit with my family.

Grandma had four ladies named after her. Here they are - including my own Sadie.

Never mind the annoying flash - do we look alike?

After visiting and reminiscing, the three of us and Peg left. We went and ate at Outback and then hit Barnes and Noble. And then  it was the moment Sadie had been waiting for - the swimming pool!

She and Brandon had the pool to themselves. I kept a chair warm with Peg.


The next morning was the funeral. The tears came then. It all started when I saw my dad take my mom up to the casket for his final goodbye. It will forever be etched in my mind. I was asked to read some Scripture in the service, but since I was a wreck, my strong sister read my portion, too.
It was a sweet ceremony remembering the hope we have in Christ, the godly woman she was, and a celebration of her life. At the end my 18 year old cousin got up to speak because he felt like the Lord was telling him to. And there was my cousin, whose dad died when he was 11, saying, "God is good." It was worth the trip just for that.
My entire family was there. If I hadn't gone then I would have been the only grandchild not there. SO glad we drove 6 hours, 4 days so I could be there.  24 hours on the road; 24 hours in MI. Three hotels. Worth it all.

 My partial and sweet family
After lunch at the funeral home, we went to be with family for the burial. Of course it was cold and rainy. This, too, was a sweet time. We sang a couple of songs Grandma wanted us to sing, and I was able to get the words out for most of them.

I thought my dad looked cute.

Sadie took a flower off the casket, and she watered it.
Our little traveler did awesome! After traveling for so many years with multiple children, it sure was a breeze having one 4 year old! And I think she liked being an only child for awhile. However, I know she missed her sisters. They called Monday afternoon, and when Sadie was talking with Maisie, she said, "Maisie, I so missing you."
 Before we finished our final leg, we spent some time at Brandon's favorite store. Sadie loved the fish in the huge fish tank.

A shout out to Grandma for taking care of the girls, for my friend, L, for helping Analise at CMA, and for my friend G, who mothered Maisie on her final field trip. And dad - thanks again for the gas money.
I am so thankful to have a wonderful book about my grandmother so I can pass the legacy on to my children. She left quite an example! As my dad told Grandma the last time he saw her, "I'll see you soon." And until then Grandma, I will "Keep Looking Up." (Something she signed all my letters with since I was young.)

2 comments:

Amy S. said...

I'm so glad you were able to go. My grandmother passed away when we were living in California and Carson was just a baby. I wasn't able to make the trip home (easily) and I still regret it to this day. Hugs to you!

Reba said...

I am thankful you were able to go too. What special times with your family. I only met your grandma a time or two but it was enough to know she loved her Jesus. Love you!