Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Thanksgiving


Our Thanksgiving was planned; we were staying in town and celebrating with family like we usually do. It all changed the Friday night before Thanksgiving. I began to wish that I had planned ahead to go to Arkansas to be with my side of the family. My parents were going to be there, and I hadn't seen my grandmother for four years. Brandon gets home from his business trip, and I casually mentioned my "I wish I had...." We talked about it, but I let my logical side rule, and we decided not to go. Brandon went to bed early, and I stayed up later. I check my FB before going to bed, and I had an email from my cousin in KS asking if I wanted to crawl in her suitcase to go to AR with them. What timing! I let my mind dream a little, so we started corresponding with her encouraging me to come. Poor Brandon gets up on Saturday thinking the decision was made, but by this time my emotions were beginning to rule, and I really wanted to go. We spent the day praying about it, and with his big blessing, we decided to go! I am so thankful for our family who understood our last minute decision and sent us with their blessing. And it was SO much fun telling mom and dad we were going to be with them!
It also helped that we could stay in a close Holiday Inn for free. We might as well enjoy the perks of Brandon traveling a lot.  Monday and Tuesday were busy shopping, packing, and I went ahead and made my food contribution for the Thanksgiving I would no longer be attending.
Weds. we pulled Analise from school and made the nine hour drive. Though it seemed long, I was glad to have the time with Brandon and the girls. We ate supper at The Cracker Barrel, and then we tucked in the girls in our upgraded room. (Thank you Lord!) Brandon encouraged me to go over to my aunt's house, so I did. I enjoyed talking with my cousin, aunt and uncle. Oh, and I enjoyed their new puppy. )
Thanksgiving day was completely different. We ate at the hotel and took the girls swimming. And some things  haven't changed yet. Analise and Brandon had the big pool to themselves, and I hung out in the hot tub with the other two. After showers, we went over to my cousin's house and hung out. It was a lot of fun visiting, and the girls enjoyed playing. Thanks Reba!
My parents got into town at lunch, so we ventured out looking for someplace to eat. This was no easy task. We ended up eating at Braums.
From there Brandon took Maisie and Sadie to the hotel for naps, and I took Analise with me (along with mom and dad) to see my Grandma Bennett. We enjoyed a couple hours of visiting.

Four Generations!



We went back over to my aunt's house for the Thanksgiving meal. We had 10 kids and 11 adults. The girls got along well with the other kids, and Analise fell in love with their puppy, too.
The meal was delicious! Thank you AK!

Friday morning we took Grandma shopping to Family Christian Bookstore. For lunch we went back to my aunt's house for appetizers. Yummy!  I spent the afternoon hanging out and spending time with family. Brandon again took the younger two back to the hotel for naps. He is such a good man. (And I think he enjoyed some rest, too, so I didn't feel bad. :))
Friday night we ate out with my folks. What a fun bonus it was seeing them before Christmas!
Maisie's latest thing is doing somersaults...all over! She went down this long hall and back.

The girls love rides on the luggage cart. And at this hotel they loved the glass elevator and going up to the eighth floor.

My grandma brought out some old pictures, so I took pictures of the pictures. Here is a picture of her parents, the year she was born, 1925. Her mother passed away when she was five. At that point Grandma was under the care of her much older sisters. She then married my Grandpa when she was just a few days shy of 15. I am so thankful for a husband who was willing to pack his bags again and make a trip on my behalf.  I wish I had more pictures from that time, but I think I was just in the moment too much to stop and take pictures.

3 comments:

Sara Campbell said...

This was such a sweet post! I think I once met your grandma. Your parents look great, I loved seeing them on your blog. Have a great Christmas season, Pam! I am trying to teach my son to write his name and thought of you the other day. :)

Jenner Carter said...

It was such a blessing to get to spend Thanksgiving with you, your family, and your parents! I enjoyed every moment of it! Thank you for making the long trip down. You can come ride down to Arkansas in my suitcase any time! Wink, wink. :)

Reba said...

I loved, loved, loved being with you and your precious family! It was such a special family time. I really miss those with y'all!