Thursday, May 21, 2009

Transitions

As the school year came to a close, we now move into the summer months. I'll admit, I was sad to see preschool end. I've said it many times...we love the kids and the teachers. Analise has had a blast! I will also miss the schedule through the week. I know we will get used to a new summer schedule, but I don't know yet what it will look like. Her graduation program was really cute. She sang to her heart's content and did all the actions. Maisie loved watching, and even Sadie bounced along to the songs. Analise, we are so proud of you on such a great year!

Sadie looks cute as a cowgirl, doesn't she? I'm learning that Sadie has a love for music already. All my girls have, and I want to instill that in them while they are young. Sadie loves to bounce and clap to music, and she can even "hum" a tune to a song. Sadie has another top tooth, bringing the total count to six! She's eating a lot and beginning to do a little better with a sippy cup. She's at the age where she can miss a morning nap, or she sleeps when we are home. It's been nice having more flexibility of getting out in the morning.
Sadie has officially been home a year! The time has flown, and she has grown!

Here are my firefighter girls. Last night at dinner, Brandon was gone, so I sent Analise down to get us all hats for our "girl party." She came up with these hats. Sadie didn't wear it while eating, though maybe that would have been good idea. She makes such a mess with food in her hair!

One night last week I ventured out for a fun craft. I called Brandon in so he could witness the girls doing something "crafty." We do something like this maybe twice a year. :) We do lots of coloring....but Maisie is beginning to lose marker privileges. Anyway, I am trying to make a tradition of having the girls paint a flower pot each spring. My dear nurse who helped save my life gave the girls paints, brushes and pots last year. I think it's fun to see how they improve on their painting over the year, and it's a reflection time for me.

The day finally arrived - Maisie climbed to the top bunk. I came in their room, and there she was up high, beaming ear to ear. Analise was at the ladder saying, "Mommy, I accidentally helped her climb up!" We let them play for awhile, but now we are trying to keep her down. Analise's headboard stores all sorts of items, and Maisie made a big mess with it all. Here they are peeking out.

Brandon went turkey hunting on Saturday and came home with two big toms! The girls get so excited for him, and Analise can't wait for the day to go with him. However, it's Maisie who loves touching the bird all over and Analise the hesitant one.

We have been keeping pretty busy, some days more than others. I think I am learning that having a 5 year old is different than a 4 year old. She is wanting more independence, and I am going to have to teach her the appropriate way in having it. I find that the older two are having more arguments than usual. I'm so sad the day has come. They have times where they play great together, and my heart is overfilled with joy. Then more frequently the times of whining and not getting along. This makes me want to pull out my hair. Boundaries...we all need them this summer!
It doesn't help that I have an early bird sharing a room with a night owl. Analise wakes up early each morning (early for me, anyway) and Maisie usually ends up getting up the same time. Now if Maisie doesn't wake up, she'll sleep another hour. That hour of sleep makes a big difference in her mood!
Speaking of getting up early, I've been getting up at the crack of dawn to exercise. When I stood on the scale at the doctor a couple of weeks ago, I knew I needed to get my rear in gear. About the same time that I was thinking that I needed to start running (which by the way is not my favorite form of exercise), a dear friend mentioned she liked running and wanted to get back in shape. We are going to meet two times a week at 6:15 to run. Let me tell ya, my legs are so sore! It's a sign that something is working. :)
We had a sad loss this past week. Brandon's grandfather passed away. We are so thankful that he is pain free and dancing with Jesus. However, we will miss him greatly! His death and funeral sparked a lot of questions from Analise. Wow...some were deep and hard to answer. Thankfully she knows that he is in heaven and that she will see him again one day.





1 comment:

Reba said...

I am sorry about the loss of Brandon's grandfather and all of the other losses in your life right now. I don't know why it seems to happen in cycles...I just know it does. :( I had to smile about the bunk. We still won't let Maria get on Lauren's. I just don't know that she won't go tumbling off accidentally. I know I really need to "let" go at some point, but it is hard! I love the pics of the girls. I still cannot believe summer is here...