Sunday, July 6, 2014

Tuesday on our Own

I am so thankful for parents who love to be grandparents and invest in their grand daughters. I am thankful my girls love to spend time with their Grandmom and Pops. And I am really thankful to get away with Brandon for three days knowing everyone was happy.  My mom and I kept calling it a Win-Win.

Brandon and I went to Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast with dad and the girls. Again, mom had meetings.  From there we drove north about 5 hours to Sleeping Bears Dunes in Michigan. I had planned this vacation many months ago, and as much as I had dreamed about going someplace a little more "glamorous," this is what worked for us, and we loved it.
 We started at the park with the seven mile scenic drive.
 Sight number one was this covered bridge.
 Stop two was Bear Lake



 Our favorite stop on the drive was an overlook of Lake Michigan at the top of a really tall sand dune. The picture doesn't show justice on high up we are or how steep the hill was.
 It was a bit cloudy and hazy, but I loved the different shades of blue in the water. Brandon asked me if this gave me my Caribbean fix. :)





 Brandon must always take a picture of our vehicle on our trip.
 After the drive, we went to the dune climb. We climbed up, up, up on really soft, fine sand. We'd never done anything like this before, and we loved it. 

 This picture looks like a puzzle to me.


 From our dune climb, we drove a bit to a trail head that took us to another beautiful overlook. I could have spent a lot of time here; it was so peaceful and quiet. Again, we were way above the water with sand dunes going down.
After the beach view, we walked among the trees and mosquitoes.
See how happy we are? :)
 After we left the park, we drove to Traverse City for dinner. We found (thanks to Trip Advisor) a local restaurant that we loved. The setting was beautiful, and the food was delicious.
From our view we could see this sailboat.
 We left Traverse City at dusk and drove an hour north to Petoskey. Along the way, we pulled over for an amazing sunset.



Day one was fun and fast. We thoroughly enjoyed being together in God's beautiful creation!

No comments: