Friday, November 19, 2010

Sweetness

I'll admit...sometimes as a mom I lose my joy in my daughters. During the day I find myself frustrated with the girls, repeating requests over and over, wishing they would stop arguing, etc. Why is it though, that my mind remembers those things when truly, most of our day was much better than that?  I find that when my parents come to visit, I see my girls through their eyes...eyes that aren't with my girls every day. They find joy in everything, and I am refreshed in that, too. So lately, I've tried focusing and reflecting on the things the girls say and do that make my heart full. Their sweetness. Here are some things I want to remember:

Analise has taken to writing notes for different members of the family. She loves to write on the bathroom mirror with a dry erase marker. I'll find notes on the mirror that say, "Maisie, have fun at preschool." or "I love you Maisie and Sadie."  She even wrote a note to Brandon that said, "Daddy, do you know who loves you the most? Jesus!"

The girls saying please and thank you with each other - totally unprompted.

Sure, my girls have moments where the don't get along. They call each other, "grumpy". I here "mine" tossed back and forth. Thankfully, these moments are the minority. I love the moments most of all when all three are playing and giggling their hearts out. Nothing like a child's pure joy expressed through laughter.

I love how the girls are so excited when I pick them up from school or Sunday School. At the beginning of the school year, when it was still nice out, I would take Maisie and Sadie to wait on the sidewalk for Analise to come out from school. Sometimes Sadie would see Analise coming down the sidewalk, and she would run to her and give her a big hug. Analise would get down low, so Sadie could hug her tight. Every day after preschool, Maisie comes down the hall ready to give me a big hug. Sadie, too, gives me hugs after SS.

Sadie is doing better about going into her SS classes. When I drop her off, she asks me. "A bit bit" (meaning I'll be gone just a little bit. ) And then when I pick her up, she'll inform me that, "I no whine." (meaning she didn't cry.)

We are still awarding with stones. The girls love filling up the cup and celebrating as a family. I am now finding the girls awarding each other with stones for doing something nice or helpful.

Analise had a bake sale today after school. I gave her some money so she could pick out something. Instead of getting one item with her 50 cents, she picked out two fruit snacks so she could share with Maisie.

Each night at bedtime, Brandon takes a few minutes to snuggle in bed with the girls. It's a treasured time for each of them. When Sadie prays, she starts with this, "Dear God, thank you daddy nuggle me."

I love hearing happy dialogue between girls. It's fun listening to a 2 and 4 year old talking back and forth. Sadie is speaking full sentences, and she has quite a bit to say. And all the girls say cute things:
Analise, "Mommy, can I have a tattoo? I mean tic-tac."
Sadie, "Mommy, I want a pet dolphin." (She meant daschund.)
Maisie while holding two big couch pillows, "Look Mommy, I'm smart!" (strong)

When one sister is sad, another sister will always get their blanket for them. Same with Band aids for when there is an injury.

Maisie is becoming quite complimentary. I'll hear, "I like your shirt mommy," or other kind things to other people.

Maisie loves to hold my hand. Parking lots, while going for walks, into school each morning.

Seeing the girls share a chair in the living room while they watch a movie.

The girls know they are responsible for putting their clothes down the laundry chute each day. Many times I will see Sadie or Maisie grab not only their own clothes but also her sisters.

This past week Maisie took the time to show Sadie how to fold a washcloth, and she would help her by folding the first half and letting Sadie finish. Both mom and Sadie were so proud.

I am very blessed with girls that get along and love each other the majority of time, and as a mom, I want to remember these moments. So amidst the trials during the day, may I thank the Lord for those moments of pure sweetness.

2 comments:

Reba said...

Beautiful post, Pam. What sweet reminders. I am with you on all counts. Some days I do lose my joy, but when I truly look back, we have many happy moments and many moments that warm my heart. I love to read about the relationship the girls have...what sweet sisters!

Unknown said...

Love this! How I wish I could witness these interactions more often. Love you!