Monday, September 21, 2009

18 Months

My baby is 18 months already! (16 months corrected age) She is doing great! We went a couple of weeks ago to see her pulmonolgist. Her lungs "sounded like a symphony." However, she isn't gaining the weight like she should be. She only weighed 19-8...a few ounces more than a few weeks ago. Thankfully, the doctor said it would do him no good to worry about it. I am just supposed to double butter everything, and try and squeeze in as many calories as possible. She is a good eater, so I am thankful for that.
Sadie has been bottle free for 5-6 weeks. After our long day of traveling home from IN, I realized she had gone all day drinking from her sippy. So the next day we went cold turkey and didn't offer any bottle. She did awesome! She now loves her sippy cups and drinks a lot of whole milk. I will admit I was a little sad as I washed the bottles for the last time and put them away. Another reminder of a season passed and a sign Sadie is growing up.
Sadie is where she likes to mimic, and she has some great sisters to learn from...most of the time. :) She will even "spit" like the girls after she is finished brushing her teeth.
Sadie loves to look at books, and she is beginning to make some animal sounds. She has puppy down for sure.
Sadie has her own fun language she uses. I don't remember the other two ever doing this. Analise seemed to talk from the womb, and Maisie just didn't talk. So I love to listen to Sadie babble. I can't even replicate the sounds.

Sadie has officially joined the family at the dinner table. So long high chair! She just beamed the first time she sat with us. I know she loves feeling grown up like the other two. We rearranged where everyone sat at the table, and I like the set up. It's working well. Sadie is now also coloring with Color Wonder markers whenever the other two color. She loves it!
I gave Sadie a spoon and yogurt the other day, and she did really well. Honestly, she wasn't much messier than Maisie is when she eats a yogurt. :)
The most exciting thing to see is Sadie walking around the house! I would say she is 60% crawling and 40% walking, but each day I see her choosing to walk more. I was at a church meeting last week with her, and she stood up in the middle of the room and began walking. I was so excited that I have no idea what anyone was talking about. The girls cheer her on and love it when Sadie walks towards them.
I am reminded that this "16 month" age has always been a challenging time. Oh, I love all the ages, I just find this age a little more frustrating. She knows what she wants, but she can't usually tell me. She does a lot of pointing, which helps. However, it's the "I am mad" attitude she expresses with a loud squeal the gets on my nerves. Maisie did the same thing, and we broke it with her. I know there is hope. It just doesn't help when the selfish 3 year old takes something from Sadie, making her scream. Then I am upset with two daughters. Thankfully they do have their moments where they laugh and play. I know it's just a stage we are going through.
Sadie is becoming quite the ham...playing the last child role really well. She will look at me and give me the cheesiest grin, just for a reaction. I love it! In fact, not too long ago I aimed the camera at her, she grinned and said, "Cheese."
I have Sadie in a Kindermusik class once a week with Maisie. It's a good time for the three of us. Maisie is one of the oldest in the class, and Sadie is the youngest. She seems to enjoy it, and I think she learns more from the class than I realize. Sadie loves to listen to songs and join in on the actions.
So all things considered, not gaining weight quickly is a minor thing. She might be little, but she makes up for it in spunk!

1 comment:

Reba said...

The weight will come. I don't think Hunter weighed much more if you go by adjusted age. I love reading all of the things Sadie is doing...she sounds like a fun little girl! I do remember that frustrated squeal stage. I didn't think it was ever going to end. But it did. And we replaced it with other irritating stages. :) I love the cheese picture...so sweet!